HISTORY OF ST NICHOLAS BRISTOL
Built in 1769, St Nicholas is a Grade II* listed church building, situated on the river next to Bristol bridge, from where the name Bristol (Brigstowe - ‘place of the bridge’) comes, in the historic city centre.
From its role in setting the standard time for the town in the medieval period, to providing shelter to the people of Bristol during bombing raids that saw the main body of the church itself destroyed in 1940, to its more recent use as the tourist office and and archive for Bristol City Council, St. Nicholas has always played an important part in the city's history. The reopening of the church as a centre for worship, mission and social engagement will continue this legacy of being a church for the city.
A HISTORIC BUILDING
The first church on the site was founded in the 12th century and was part of the Old City wall. Whilst the current church was built in the 18th century, the original medieval crypt from the 14th century remains today.
The church was bombed in WWII, losing its roof and the contents of the church, but was restored soon afterwards, turning the church into an ecclesiastical museum and Archive Office of Bristol City Council.